Friday, August 27, 2010

How jewelry can make a statement

Hillary had some thoughts on jewelry and making statements with it.:
I constantly struggle with the conundrum of whether I should just make something pretty or really work on making a strong statement with my pieces. My journey with making pieces that are personal has come slowly and, despite my best efforts, the statements aren't always clear to the naked eye, which is why I was amazed when I saw this. Burcu Buyukunal, a turkish jewelry designer, has designed face distorting jewelry. I have never seen anything make a statement more strongly and, at the same time, more abstractly than this.
When asked about the jewelry, he said that there's nothing sexier than a woman who doesn't want to look sexy. I really feel like it also makes a statement about women who are willing to distort their face or themselves to follow fashion or society much like I intended my piece, Exactly, to be.  Everyone who has written an article about Burcu's new jewelry has either simply reported it, seemed to be confused by it or seemed to dislike it.  I love it.  I think it's bold and amazing and says so many things so clearly.  The fact is, jewelry designers always create to make some statement--be it "I'm sparkly", "green is a pretty color" or "my heart is broken and I feel things you couldn't even imagine"--and Burcu's design makes a statement like no other. Wow.

1 comment:

  1. Jwelry had been a part of human culture since the earliest times. People wear it to satisfy their vanity, to indulge their love for beautiful things and to look good to others.
    rolex replica watches

    ReplyDelete